Saul Swag/Bedroll?

Submitted: Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 23:12
ThreadID: 56996 Views:18308 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, I've never had or slept in a swag before but I think I would like to get one for the occasional 1 night fishing/camping trip with mates. I think it may be quicker and easier to set up. I already have a large Family Tourer tent for my whole family and a quality 3man dome tent from before the family popped up. Has anyone got any experience with the Hal Saul of Tawonga swag on its own and with the separate insect screen when and if needed? I can get a painfull lower back sometimes and need to sleep on my back with knees raised/legs bent so need some room for this. I have read some of the previous posts here, they have been informative but no mention of the simple traditional Sauls swag. Are insects especially mozzies always around and bothersome? I mainly will be staying along the Vic coast or the Murray River.
Regards Boris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 23:17

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 23:17
If you plan on camping along the Vic coast, buy a "bug proof" swag, as there are usually plenty of mosquitos.
If you need to sleep on your back as you described, you may be better with a 3 hoop swag.
AnswerID: 300512

Follow Up By: BorisK - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 09:08

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 09:08
Shaker so the hoops are high enough for this then? I'm also looking at the Oztrail Mitchell which I've seen at a store but because it was displayed on a raised angled shelf and filled with stuffing to make it look neat I couldnt try it. Thanks
FollowupID: 566682

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 22:52

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 22:52
Rays Outdoors have a very good reasonably priced 3 hoop swag, we have 2 of them & are very happy with the room.
FollowupID: 566826

Follow Up By: BorisK - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 23:04

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 23:04
Thanks for your responce again Shaker, Ive seen them but Ive decided not to get a swag yet as Ive got enough gear already. I can just use my sleeping bag or two, mattress and speed shelter that I remembered I had. When this speed shelter wears out Ill look at getting the swag and by then I might have borrowed one and tried it for myself. This way Ive got no reasons not to take the kids on overnighters with me, they love fishing too.
Cheers Boris
FollowupID: 566829

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 01:37

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 01:37
I Had double level fusion at 25 (youngest at the time according to surgeon),Due to an asshole running up my ass while i was stationary on my road bike,He was traveling at 100 km's with his head up his ass as they do...That was about 15 years ago now..

Anyway what ever swag you decided to buy go down and buy that egg cup stuff and add it to the foam that comes with the swag....I sleep with pillow under my legs in my double swag (Bourke/Wills)..Before the egg cup i was tossing etc etc,The missus suggested adding the foam..Now its just as good as home...

A three hoop (Rays has them on special occasionally from $250 to $150/single,might be even cheaper it was a couple years ago now) I bought one for the daughter,Mates tend to want to borrow it all the time(funny enough i just dropped it to brother in law last night for his trip to the pinnacles) and when i go away by myself its better than the heavy/large double....

Hope it helps

Cheers
AnswerID: 300523

Follow Up By: BorisK - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:58

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:58
Ouch. You're lucky to be alive. Good to here you're still enjoying camping trips. So you think the 2 canvas cover flaps will be too heavy over my legs then? You can see the design on this site http://www.saulswags.com.au/Pages/product.htm I have been thinking of using the egg cup foam aswell, Thanks.
FollowupID: 566681

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 00:08

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 00:08
Ouch. You're lucky to be alive

Some may disagree LMAO... I was super fit at the time which helped and the oncoming car managed to avoid me,dont know how i was staring at there bonnet while in the air..lol

Anyway if you go the swag get the three hooped swag,keeping everything off you..

Goodluck
FollowupID: 566957

Reply By: tonysmc - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 15:10

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 15:10
Boris, I know I will cop some flak, however I have used swags a number of times and I cannot really see the point of them. I find them expensive for what they are and for someone with a bad back as yourself, heavy. May I suggest you find a suitable mattress, roll it up with your bedding (sheets, pillow, etc) and get a waterproof bag made for it. Then use a mossie dome or tent with nosee-em mesh.
This way you can seperate the items to make it lighter, your mattress and bedding is always in a clean bag/s, and the mossie dome or tent is what goes on the ground and gets dirty.
Using a light dome tent (which pack up very small, I actually roll my matress around it after it is stowed away) you will have heaps of room to raise your legs and some room for clothes and personal items along side you and nothing can get in there that you don't want it too. I was once bitten by a centipede in the middle of the night in a remote area and that was the last time I ever slept in something that didn't completely zip up.

Cheers Tony.
AnswerID: 300594

Follow Up By: BorisK - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 18:48

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 18:48
Gday Tony, thanks for your honest opinion. I dont think youre the only one that thinks that way, if I remember right Serg-KSV had the same ideas as you. I work as a plasterer so lifting heavy stuff is not what worries me I just have to be able to change sleeping positions through the night so my back doesnt hurt. I already have all the self inflating mattresses and everything so I might just look for the quickest tents as my dome tent is too much for one night. I just remembered I just bought my family a beach shelter that springs up like an umbrella system using a rope through the top of it. Its 2.4x2.4 so looks like we may have worked something out then. My wife Svetlana has only used it once on our last trip to Blanket Bay 6 or so weeks ago so Ill go inspect it. Thanks again!
FollowupID: 566780

Reply By: BorisK - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 19:10

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 19:10
Just set the Wild Country Family Speed Shelter up with a pull of a string and put it away again in under two minutes. Cant get much quicker than that. Seals down to the floor with fly screen and waterproof material over that on all four sides and big enough to take the kids for overnighters too. I have made up my mind that a swag is not necessary. Thanks everyone.
Cheers Boris
AnswerID: 300640

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:02

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:02
My advice is to borrow/hire one before you buy..

I got my first swag from a bloke who bought it, slept in it for 10 mins, and sold it for 1/2 price.

I have a Jolly swag (http://www.jollyswags.swag.com.au/) I got off mate on patrol forum.. I used it for first time 2 weeks ago, its VERY WARM, and comfortable and easy to setup compared to my first one which while warm, isnt as easy to setup..

Shop around, make the peasant at the shop set it up for you, to show you how hard it is. Also to roll back up.

I got a cheaper one for Cammo last yr, and when setting up the end poles up on it before going away camping, the tabs ripped off that the poles go into!

Good luck!
AnswerID: 300884

Follow Up By: BorisK - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:16

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:16
Thanks truckster, Sauls web site describes, I think most of the different problems with the various other designs of swags and why his are designed the way they are. Its interesting reading if you're like me and didnt know much about swags. I just need the personal experience with a couple of different swags now, hopefully I'll find someone soon that has one and try theirs. Right now Ive got a very versatile combination of items to get me by and I didnt realise this till just recently.
Cheers Boris
FollowupID: 567008

Reply By: johny-b-bad - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 17:22

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 17:22
Hi guys, I have been a long lover of outdoors and especially hunting. There is no better swag then the Onland Country Dome Kit. I could not believe how much I paid for it from camping-r-us. I was searching for a good swag for both summer and winter. I have had my old mans hand me down since before I could shoot a gun with out falling backwards.
I needed a swag to keep them little black bastards, the dreaded blow flies and of course the blood sucking vermin the old mozzie off me. The Onland swag offered a dome swag with upper mesh the full length of the swag. Perfect for keeping me cool in the hot months out at Mungundi but still keep me heaps warm for the hunting periods in winter. It is amazingly simple and quick to set up. I also found that the bonus carry bag and my handy stubby cooler all made from 14 ounce canvass was a top little seller. Every swag I looked at wasn't going to give me much change out of $400.00 bucks. When I sore this one I questioned it's quality. After talking to the guys from the store they assured me that the quality matched any other swag.

I got it home put it and seasoned the canvas and was thrilled with this little treasure. I couldn't wait to drag the missus in and brake it in. My first trip out I found out just how useful it's design was. I was woken at about 3:30 in the morning from a slack night out. There wasn't a pig or a roo, not even the odd goat to be found. Here I was sleeping with my 3 0 by my side when I could here the scuffing of what I new was my bestest friend, the old oinker. I new the moment I stood out of my swag he was gone, luckily I had the shooters entry in the right direction. I simply just put the barrel out the side zipper and the out come was........

Me having to clean out the $hit of my mates swags because they all woke from me sticking a little bit of led in the side of the pigs head. What a great morning. I had the only skin of the weekend and the greatest swag.

Thanks camping-r-us for making my hobbies just that little bit more better.

AnswerID: 301171

Follow Up By: BorisK - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 23:32

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 23:32
I've seen it on Ebay looks great but I've learnt the hard way that any canvas that has to be seasoned is not waterproof and never will be, plastic clips break too easily fibreglass rods splinter and velcro won't last a year. Don't like looking for zips in the dark especially when they jam up and I'm not sure whether the bag will fit any extra sleeping essentials in it if needed so to me its just a toy/gimmick like the stubby cooler and another thing to drag around. There's no perfect designs out there from what I've seen but that one has all the things that I would'nt want in a swag. I do prefer that brown colour to any green or blue or pink though!
Cheers Boris
FollowupID: 567312

Reply By: cooperdog - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 20:54

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 20:54
G'day Boris, I put together my own swag
a 2.4 X 3 meter canvas "Camp sheet" with reinforsed eyelettes on all corners and at half way points at adges, got mine from Sar Major Adelaide but any good canvas place should be able make one, A full sized single bed foam mattress I use 90mm thick(because dont like my hip bones laying on hard surfaces) and its all about comfort. Couple of sheets , blanket or doona ,army box net mossie net and pillow.Also blue tarp for ground sheet. Makes a kind of cocoon to sleep in by over lapping sides.Total weight of 15kg so not all that luggable.All folds and rolls up neatly with a bit of practice.When rolled tied up using the armstrong method with webbing strap,rope or what ever.
Cheers Cooperdog
AnswerID: 301209

Follow Up By: BorisK - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 22:45

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 22:45
Sounds very much like the Saul swag. Simple and nothing much to set up so great! Thanks for the info. Boris
FollowupID: 567303

Reply By: joc06 - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 10:59

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 10:59
For those of us getting a bit long in the tooth, the perfect quick & easy camp set up is a swag or bedroll on top of an extra wide/long stretcher placed under a bushrager awning on the side of your vehicle. When mossies are a problem I hand a mossie net from the awning. The mossie net also keeps the dew off your bedding
Cost:
Awning $400
Coleman Stretcher $65
Oztrail Cooper swag $100
Doona $50
Mosquito net (hung over swag/stretcher) $15

I have been using this set up for the last 3 years and have found it brilliant. I have usually got my camp set up before my fellow travellers have uppacked their tent. Same thing when packing up, 20mins tops. This combo is good on the back too.
AnswerID: 301652

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 15:51

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 15:51
I personally don't have a problem with insects; my wife does - the mozzies seem to find her. My first swag was an open bedroll, like the Saul swag, and it worked fine for me - even when it rained - just hooked the top piece of canvas onto the bullbar.

But my wife started coming on more trips, so I twisted her arm to use a double swag - hoops and mossie nets and plenty of ventilation and a 10cm thick mattress. And after 3 years of using it, she's still a convert. Some good friends bought two Saul swags at about the same time - same trips, and they are happy too, but they take a mossie dome (and rarely need it). We ended up with a Rays double swag:
Image Could Not Be Found

AnswerID: 301703

Sponsored Links